Now that peaches are in season and so tasty, here’s a simple peach galette recipe using fresh yellow peaches tossed with a little sugar, flour, and vanilla. Or try it with any “bakeable” fruit… thanks to Laurel Blair for sharing!
You can play around with it a bit, too, by adding blueberries, or toss in a pinch of cinnamon or nutmeg. Sprinkle with lemon juice if the peaches are too sweet. Also, it’s best to use yellow peaches for this recipe as the flavor of white peaches is delicate and doesn’t hold up well in cooking. You can use your own crust recipe, or pre-made crust or the recipe for crust below. If you are gluten-free, you can use a gluten-free flour.
Peach Galette Recipe
- Prep time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
- Cook time: 20 minutes
- Yield: Makes 8 servings
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 oz (1/2 cup, 1 stick, 8 Tbsp) butter, cut into small (1/2-inch) cubes, chilled in freezer at least 15 minutes, preferably an hour
- 4 to 6 Tbsp ice water
- 2 large, not-overly-ripe yellow peaches (about 3/4 pound total), pitted, sliced into 1/4-inch to 1/2-inch slices
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp almond paste (optional)
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 egg
- A sprinkling of coarse sugar (optional)
1. Make the crust dough: In a food processor, pulse the flour, sugar, and salt, until well mixed. Add the cubed butter, and pulse 8 times. The butter should still be the size of peas in the mixture. Slowly add the ice water, a tablespoon or two at a time, pulsing after each addition, until the dough just begins to clump. Turn out onto a clean surface. Use your clean hands to form into a disc. Do not over-knead. Work the dough only enough to bring it barely together into a disk. Sprinkle with a little flour on all sides, wrap with plastic, and place into the refrigerator to chill for an hour.
2. Toss peaches with flour, sugar, vanilla: Preheat the oven with the rack in the middle position to 425°F (220°C). Place the peach slices in a bowl and sprinkle with the flour and sugar. Toss gently to coat. Sprinkle vanilla extract over the peaches.
3. Whisk egg: In a small bowl, whisk the egg until smooth and set aside.
4. Roll out dough: On a lightly floured, clean, smooth surface, roll out the dough to about a 12-inch diameter. Gently lift up the rolled out dough and place it on a rimmed baking sheet.
5. Arrange peach slices on dough round: Arrange the peach slices in an overlapping pattern in a single layer in the center of the dough, forming about a 7 or 8-inch circle. Dot with a little butter.
6. Fold dough edges over, brush with beaten egg: Fold the outer edges of the dough round over the filling, by about 2-inches all the way around, in an accordion fashion. Use a pastry brush to coat the exposed dough with an egg wash and sprinkle with coarse sugar, I use demerara sug
7. Bake: Place in the oven and bake at 425°F (220°C) for about 15-20 minutes, until nicely browned. Remove from the oven and let cool on the baking sheet, over a rack, about 15 minutes.