Justin Beaver, Executive Chef / Board Member
Fall has finally reached us here in Pennsylvania, which means it is time for pumpkin spice everything–and this month’s recipe is no exception! Pumpkin Streusel muffins make a great grab-and-go breakfast or afternoon snack for the entire family.
This recipe is created with pantry staples and is quick and easy to assemble. Canned pumpkin puree is widely available this time of year, or you can steam and puree your squashes if you’re feeling up to it. When choosing your puree, be sure to check the labels carefully, as this recipe uses 100% pumpkin puree, not canned pumpkin pie mix, which contains additional ingredients not needed for these muffins.
Pumpkin pie spice is also readily available this time of year, but if your spice rack looks like mine, you don’t need to add another jar to your collection. Make your pumpkin pie spice by combining three tablespoons of cinnamon with two teaspoons of ginger and one teaspoon each of nutmeg, ground cloves, and ground allspice.
Enjoy this seasonal recipe straight from the oven, store it at room temperature for up to a week, or double the recipe and stash some in the freezer for later. No matter your choice, these muffins will surely put you in an autumn state of mind.
Pumpkin Streusel Muffins
Yield: about 1 dozen muffins
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 15 oz. can pumpkin puree
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 1 tsp salt
- 1⁄2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1⁄2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1⁄4 c pumpkin seeds, crushed
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees while preparing the batter.
- With your fingers combine the streusel ingredients. Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar in a mixer until light and fluffy.
- Meanwhile, combine the dry ingredients.
- Add the eggs one at a time. Once combined add in the pumpkin.
- Stir in the dry ingredients until just combined.
- Scoop into 12 lined or greased muffin cups. Top with the streusel.
- Bake for 5 mins at 400 degrees, then lower the oven temp to 350 and bake until done and the tops are golden, about 20 mins.